The Definitive Marketing Guide
Marketing your construction company is critical to your long-term success. The nature of the construction industry is that you need a steady stream of new leads and jobs in order to stay in business. No one job lasts forever and each new project you start will eventually reach completion. It's critical for contractors to have the next job lined up in order to cover your fixed expenses and keep your employees working. In order to do this successfully, you will need to develop a system that will consistently bring in new leads and potential clients.
Passive Vs. Active Contractor Marketing
Marketing strategies can be broken into two categories: Passive and Active marketing and it's important that you know and understand both types. Passive strategies are things on your website, Google My Business listing, and directories that customers seeking the services you provide will potentially find. Active marketing strategies include things like website retargeting and paid advertising on Facebook and other platforms that we “push out” to potential customers in the hope that they will reach out to our business and potentially become a client. The best marketing strategies include a strong passive framework in conjunction with a strong active marketing campaign. In this article, we will reveal tips and strategies for a holistic campaign for your business.
The 4-Pillars of Success Contractor Marketing
The 4-Pillars of Successful Marketing:
- Setup Your Home Base – Your home base is your website. This is the place where client leads are converted to new customers. The best platform for building a construction company website on WordPress. The WordPress platform gives you increased functionality and control for superior search engine optimization, design, and plugin installation. A great website includes clear calls to action (CTA's), easy navigation, customer testimonials, reviews, and a form to collect potential customer contact information.
- Get On The Map – When it comes to local search Google My Business listings are your #1 source for new client leads. When a potential customer searches for your business on a mobile device, most likely the Google Map Pack is going to pop up first. This means that in order to be competitive in your local marketplace you will need to have your company appear in the top 3 positions in the Google Map Pack. It's also helpful if you have your happy customers leave reviews directly on your Google My Business listing. This will improve both your click-thru rate (CTR) and your customer conversions.
- Build Your Brand – Brand search is important when converting potential clients into paying customers. If you track the conversion path that most new customers take it will include doing a basic brand search in Google with your company name. In other words, these potential clients are “checking up” on your company and making sure your legitimate and have positive reviews from other happy customers. It's important for all construction companies to control their brand search by soliciting 5-star reviews, creating social assets, and adding their company information to business directories.
- Get Em Talking – Studies show that happy customer testimonials are the deciding factor when people decide to do business with a company. Unfortunately, most customers will not leave a review of your business unless they have a negative experience. In order to combat this phenomenon, it's critical that our contractor marketing strategy has a process in place to get reviews from happy customers. This usually involves simply reaching out and asking.
Search Engine Optimization Strategies & Opportunities
Search engine optimization or SEO is the process of optimizing both on-site and off-site factors to appear at the top of Google search engine results. The actual process is very technical but involves the keywords and backlinks from related websites. Studies show that appearing at the top of the Google search results is the most effective way to consistently drive new client leads and customers to your website. Unfortunately for most engaging in DIY search engine optimization is beyond the scope of their expertise and will most likely need to be outsourced to professionals. Hiring a professional search engine optimization company is usually a significant investment, but when done properly can produce a great return on investment.
The Top Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Secrets For General Contractors
If you're looking for SEO services for your business, my agency Oregon Web Solutions would be happy to give you a no-obligation estimate and price quote. If you're interested in learning more just fill out the contact form at the bottom of this article.
Why Contractors Fail To Successfully Market & Promote Their Companies
The Construction industry is a labor-intensive occupation. It involves a ton of paperwork, numerous legal requirements, and complex management and coordination services. All this gets in the way of marketing. However, considering all the opportunities popping up in real estate, as well as the rising competition, contractor marketing is now simply indispensable.
Unsurprisingly, most general contractors do not know how to handle their marketing. This comprehensive marketing guide will get you up to date on the most effective strategies for your marketing.
Contractor and construction businesses, by their very nature, are labor-intensive and marketing is usually the last thing considered.
While contracting and construction businesses operate differently from other businesses, a planned and well-researched marketing strategy is still imperative to your business’ success and should be at the core of every effort to connect with new customers and grow your business.
Why Marketing In The Construction Industry Is Different
Marketing in the general contracting and construction industry is slightly different from marketing for other business types.
Best Advertising Strategy For General Contractors
Google My Business Listing Construction Industry Best Practices
To set up the Google My Business Listing for your General contracting business, visit Google.com/Business
Social Proof & 5-Star Customer Reviews
How To Automate Customer Reviews
How To Get a Direct Link To Your Google My Business Listing
Contractor Marketing Strategies That Get Results
Remember that marketing strategies for general contractors are not just about having a good website or nice business cards. The best strategies include a holistic approach that includes all aspects of marketing your business.
With that in mind, it's important to make sure that your contractor marketing strategy is considering all aspects of your business in any way, shape, or form that people may come across it.
Social Media Marketing For Construction Companies
Organic social media posting is a great way to keep your business “top of mind” for your potential clients. This form of social media promotion can be labor and time-intensive, but when done correctly can result in a steady stream of new customers for your business. Facebook and Instagram and constantly adjusting their algorithm to make it harder to reach your customers organically, so you will have to think outside the box to effectively promote your business. The best strategies usually include providing value or even giving things away for free, in exchange for likes, shares, and comments from your followers. Social media marketing strategies that rely entirely on self-promotion will usually fail because your engagement will be little or non-existent. It's important to think of your social media promotions not as a direct sales tactic, but instead a long-term branding initiative.
How to Use Instagram To Promote Your Contracting Business
Instagram Marketing Strategy For Contractors
New & Innovative Construction Marketing Ideas
How To Use Branding To Make Your Construction Company Stand Out
How To Get A Great Logo On A Budget
How To Design a Contractor Logo On a Budget
Final Thoughts On Contractor Branding
Build a Stylish and Functional WordPress Website
Leverage Organic and Paid Social Media Marketing
Setup and Optimize Your Google My Business Listing
Use Video Marketing To Stand Out From Your Competition
Give Back To Your Community To Promote Your Business
As mentioned earlier, construction is entirely physical. In fact, it can be described as dirty. To this end, there is no better way to showcase your skills than by getting your hands dirty by building things for free. That's right, utilize your unique skillset by volunteering in your community when the need arises.
Engage in Strategic Partnerships to Promote Your Construction Company
Final Thoughts On Contractor Marketing
Contractor Marketing Online Training Course
Do You Own a Construction Company and Need Help with Your Marketing?
Other Related Contractor Articles:
Contractor Marketing – The Definitive Guide Marketing your construction company is critical to your long-term success.
Other Related Contractor Articles:
- Contractor Advertising Strategy Article
- Contractor Website Design Article
- General Contractor Lead Service Article
- Digital Marketing For Construction Companies Article
- Best Lead Generation Websites For Contractors